Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Blog 12: Hi

Hello kind person who took time out to visit my "blog"

Let's be real.  Can we even call this a blog at this point? I usually forget about it until Steve pesters me to post something.  I will however try my hardest to post regularly as I have had many compliments on it.  Alright, what's been going on since the last time we spoke? The Tsunami that struck Japan was tragic. My thoughts and prayers definitely go out to those people.  I'm already sick of the Charlie Sheen thing. We get it, you're "crazy" Whatever. Get lost.  We lost Nate Dogg. Truly a sad day for any hip-hop fan.  Do yourself a favor and find "Oh No" by Mos Def and Pharoahe Monch feat. Nate Dogg. You'll be in for a treat.  The NCAA Tournament starts in less than 12 hours.  That's exciting if you're a basketball fan, even if you're not, it's good times.  Baseball starts in exactly 2 weeks.  That's good too.  Enough of that.

Wu-Tang is the greatest hip-hop group of all time.  If you disagree, you're an idiot. You have 9 gentlemen who not only make great group albums (sans the last two) and can come out individually and have great solo discs.  See Raekwon for an example.  You can say 3 of his 5 albums are must owns.  Method Man's first album is great.  Liquid Swords is one of the better hip-hop albums of all time.  RZA is a producing legend.  Inspectah Deck's Controlled Substance is solid as well.  Ghostface, do we even need to explain the genius of Mr. Killah?  ODB obviously, R.I.P. Dirt Dog.   I love underground hip-hop as much as the next white kid from the 'burbs, but Wu will be above everyone for the reasons I stated above.

Honorable Mentions:
OutKast are up there as well, don't get me wrong, Andre 3G and Big Boi are legends in their own right, but Wu has been more consistent.  UGK are in the conversation.  They never became mainstream which I respect.  The only song most people know from them are "International Players Anthem" which was featuring OutKast.  R.I.P. Pimp C.  Mobb Deep in the mid 90's had hit after hit after hit.  Not radio friendly hits either, straight hood classics.  I got into Gang Starr a few years before Guru passed away and I loved their albums.  DJ Premier is one of the greatest real hip-hop producers of all time and he proved it with Gang Starr.  While Wu is the greatest hip-hop group of all time, my two favorites are De La Soul and A Tribe Called Quest.  They were the opposite of Wu-Tang when it came to content but they two groups respectively, left a mark for hip-hop that may never be topped.  I know a lot of people don't like Q-Tip but forget about "Vivrant Thing", he's more than just that song.  He's more of a lyricist than that, you don't believe me, listen to Kamaal the Abstract.

Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment